Monday, July 20, 2009

What a day...

This morning I got up and got busy picking up the house. I have a TON of laundry to do which I hate!! Around 9:45 I thought man I need to call Dr. V's office and see when my next check up is. I go to the endocrinologist every 3-4 months to get all my numbers checked. Well I just knew it was coming up so like I said I call...well guess what it was TODAY at 11am. My Drs office is in San Antonio so I have a drive plus I hadn't taken a shower because I was cleaning. So needless to say I got ready REAL fast!! My hair was in a headband and pony!! Not too cute.

I made it on time and they called me back to draw blood. Let me just tell ya I was the WRONG girl to get diabetes. I have to lay down for them to draw blood because if not I'm a goner...EVERY TIME! HA I always apologize for being such a wimp but I really have to control over it. So the girl takes me back and starts. Ok not too bad and then she starts moving it all around OUCH!! She keeps digging and I think I'm about to hit her, she finally gives up because she blew that vain. She had to poke me again but this time she used a butterfly thank goodness. I was not real impressed with her abilities, they usually get it the first time without a problem.

My Dr was happy with my A1C (your A1C is a 3 month look at your blood sugars. 6 is normal mine was a 5.5) but he thinks it's a little too good which means I have too many lows. Lows can be more dangerous than highs because you can pass out. So this Friday I am going to go back and get a continuous glucose sensor. It will check my sugars on a continuous basis and then we can make adjustments as needed. I'm kind of excited about trying this little device because I hope to get one in the near future. They have come so far with diabetes management it's crazy. They are actually working on a artificial pancreas right now. I'm sort of crazy about my numbers I hate to see highs so I have a tendency to give myself a little too much insulin. I will have to try to back off a little bit.
CGM sensor pod

CGM receiver


Sorry for all the diabetic talk but hey it's a HUGE part of my life. I guess we will see how the sensor works hope I like it. (That was a pretty pointless post HA!!)

3 comments:

ajphillips said...

I always worry about some things I post too, but one day I know that I will look back and be glad that I have a complete journal of what is going on. Think about if we didn't have blogs, we wouldn't have any record of our lives. At least I wouldn't! Hope everything works out with the new gadget!

The Wiemers said...

It is amazing how far they have come with things. It is good that you take care of yourself.

Cheryl said...

Ashlee, Definitely not a pointless post. My grandmother is 84 and has diabetes. She has the pump and does pretty well but I have been amazed at how complicated everything is. Seems like we get things under control and then they get out of wack again. Being that age, she is also on a lot of medications that interfere with things. I am so glad they have had so many advancements in the treatment of diabetes. Hopefully this will make your life easier! The artificial pancreas sounds hopeful! Glad you made it to your appointment! Have a great week!