So my sweet, easy baby has hit the road and I have a sweet, but VERY headstrong one year old. Mornings used to be great and pretty easy but lately they have been a struggle. He cries when we are dressing him and throws tantrums when he can’t have what he wants. He never cried when I dropped him off at daycare when he was little but I guess separation anxiety has set in. He is starting to hit and push away when he gets mad. Quite the temper this little one has!! I’m just a little taken back because neither Gordon or I have much of a temper. You have to really push my buttons to get a reaction out of me so I don’t know where this is coming from.
I just don’t know how to discipline him at this age. It’s hard to know just how much he understands because he doesn't talk much. I do believe in spanking but I think he is still a little too young for that. I feel like he wouldn’t understand why it’s happening because I can’t explain it to him. I try redirecting but I guess I do it too late because he has a major melt down. I want to be consistent and do the right thing now so we don’t have a major issue when he’s older (remember I’m a middle school teacher….so I’m scared….VERY scared!!)
Being a parent is such a HUGE responsibly that I don’t take lightly. I want my child to be a well rounded individual that is respectful of rules and boundaries. So if you have any tips that have worked for you PLEASE let me know.
3 comments:
He will grow out of it I promise! You just have to be firm and consistent. Cooper used to not want to get dressed or get in the car seat. It would take two of us to get it done but we would win eventually:) hang in there!
My only suggestion would be to find a book with theories that you like, read it and stick with it. But just remember, ALL kids do it, you're not the only one!
He will grow out of it and I think it is hard to discipline him when he is just expressing his emotions. Maybe he is also feeling the stress of Daddy being on the road? I actually started asking Michael "are you mad?" "are you frustrated?" and then I would ask him to show me what he wanted or what was bothering him. One time it was the tag in his shirt! So I cut it out and all was well with the world. Good luck! Miss you!
Post a Comment